Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lesson for the day

. . . for the gracious hand of his God was on him. For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the Lord, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel. Ezra 7:9b - 10.

Yes, I forever want the hand of God on me. What I've realized is how its so important to be intentional about most things. Do I want my children to adopt the Christian faith? Of course I do. Well how intentional am I in teaching them the things of God, writing them on the doorposts of my home, talking about them when we get up and when we lay down? Are we sowing the seeds of what we want to reap in our lives? In discussions about the children of Israel and thier constant rebellion against God and his Word the question always comes up "these people are punished over and over again for falling away why don't they get it?" We aren't so different. I realize I have to intentionally open that Word, remind myself of what God says and what he requires of me. Things that I know and have heard over and over again but I have to be constantly reminded. Just like our children have to be constantly reminded of things we tell them. This is part of training in righteousness. I have to train myself to do what God asks of me. The moment I don't intentionally seek him out (daily) it is so easy to fall away. Lord, help us in this flesh to go hard after you.

We've been praying about good friendships for ourselves and our children to encourage us in our homeschooling journey and just in our walk with the Lord. What I'm often reminded of is "he who wants friends must first show himself friendly." Proverbs 18:24. Ok coupled with this prayer - we got to do some friendly intentional things. Who have we extended invitations to for fellowship?

This principal can be applied to so many areas of our lives - the discipline of eating right, exercise, maintaining our homes and relationships. Things will quickly fall by the wayside if we aren't diligent (intentional) about the things we do. Some of it is making a conscious decision but not without first submitting to the grace of God to walk in these things. I'm sure I'll have to read this post over again to remind myself :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails