Thursday, June 3, 2010

At some point you have to say no more . . .

I'm talking about buying books. I just keep finding things that I think would be great to incorporate in our homeschool. For the last two days JW and I have been at the CC practicum where I've been learning more about the classical model of education. JW has been in a logic camp. What is a logic camp? Well, Logic is one of the classes she will be introduced to next year, so from what she told me today they did different activities to identify opinion and fact statements. You really have to understand classical education to get it but within the logic class they are taught how to critically think through statements that people make, how to discern truth from fallacy and make arguments that can be supported by truth. A big part of the program is writing, speaking and debating. The debates which are introduced in high school really make the kids examine the truths in their Christian faith as revealed in the bible and teaches them skills to defend their faith. Logic is foundational to debate. So I purchased all the books she will be using next year along with some great grammar finds to begin teaching grammar to the younger two and myself as well.

The kids are so excited about summer vacation. I'm excited about having them all home finally. I'm also excited about getting them into summer reading and math which they just can't understand why I'm so excited about "school." I just believe its been a wonderful gift God has given me - the privilege of being totally responsible to nurture and teach his children at home. Here is the conclusion I've come to - homeschooling and adoption are such a wonderful effective tool to raise up mighty warriors for God's army. OK where did adoption come from? That's another story for another time maybe another blog. But here is a treat - http://buildingtheblocks.blogspot.com/ A family with such a heart for God's children. Their story resonates with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails