Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 24, 2010

I've lost track of which week of school I'm in so the title of this blog is just today's date. As I'm thinking about the yearly testing that must be done to satisfy Virginia homeschooling laws, I realize the test will be more of an assessment of learning from public school than what we've done in the last 7 weeks. Next year's test will be a better indicator of what we've accomplished. But I must say I felt pretty good when JW helped MW with her math homework tonight. The subject matter was something that her and I went over since we've been homeschooling.

Jordan's working in her "after schooling" book for the first time tonight. Her report card came out yesterday for the 2nd 9 week term. Two of her grades went from an A to a C. When exchanging emails with the teacher regarding this her answer was basically "the kids know what they need to do in class and she will bring up her grade next term. It's not the question of her knowing the material but rather her not turning in assignments." This answer did not satisfy me. If she was in high school this answer would be acceptable to me because she is totally responsible for completing and turning in assignments. But a third grader who clearly knows her work for some reason isn't turning them in? Does anyone think the parent should have been made aware of this issue well before grades came out?? I think so. Granted, the teacher has been out on maternity leave and the class was left in the hands of a sub who just graduated from college but I really have a problem with this. Part of me feels like leave it alone she's coming home next year and another part of me feels like letting them know how I really feel about this but will this change her grade? I think not. Not sure how I'm going to handle it but at this point in a child's academic career I really feel like grades should reflect a student's mastery of material.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails