Monday, February 8, 2010

Week 5, Day 1

Another snow day today and tomorrow! The snow has hit the east coast and the result has been all 3 kids at home participating in homeschool. The kids didn't go to school on last friday either but JW and I took that as a snow day as well.

But today things were back to normal. I found a fun activity on-line where I hid clues around the house that the kids had to find to answer 18 questions about the human body. It was so much fun to watch them run around to find the clues without letting each other know where they found them because the first one to finish received a money deposit into their piggy bank. While having fun they learned a lot of facts they, or I for that matter, didn't know before. For example, I never knew the left lung was smaller than the right lung to make room for the heart. God is so amazing in the way he has knit us together. This scavenger hunt is in keeping with JW's science unit on the human body. We finished up a unit on the digestive system next will be the circulatory system. JW has such a gift for drawing & illustrating that I am using this to help reinforce lessons. She drew a beautiful colored picture of the digestive system and labeled its parts. I got the great idea of having her do this for each system we study and then construct a book when we are finished. I believe this will go a long way in helping her to really learn this material. I am also excited about finding her a drawing class being taught at a local arts center. It's a 6 week class that starts 2/15 once a week for an hour. There is a second 6 week class that builds upon the skills introduced in the first which I will probably register her for as well. I'm eager to see how her natural gifts develop as a result of this training.

I'm thankful to God in giving me creative ways to teach her lessons. Creativity is truely not one of my gifts so I know its from him.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see some of JW's artistic creations. Creating books, sometimes referred to as "Lap Books" is a great way to get student to retain the information they are learning. Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails