Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Week 2, Day 3

Today was a half-day for the younger kids so JW and I worked quickly through Math, discussed our latest literature read Shiloh and watched DVD 1 on the American Revolution. Because history is rather boring for Jasmine the DVDs will be used often to reinforce the lessons. After picking up the girls we had lunch and stayed at the library for the afternoon. JW had research to do for a Science paper and the younger girls took part in a library sponsored craft class.

We've been primarily reading fiction for Language Arts and I have a few nonfiction books lined up for History. The county curriculum suggests various works of literature to be covered in 7th grade to include poetry, short stories, etc. Since we are getting close to black history month I wanted to include works from black writers - Langston Hughes, W.E.B. Dubois, Jean Toomer. I found a lot of their work in one book on the Harlem Renaissance to include their most famous writings. I hope I'm not getting carried away. In planning for lessons I feel like I'm being re-educated. I want to know more about everything I read. I know JW may not share the same excitement and appreciation I have for these "historical" writings but maybe just maybe I'm planting a seed for future interest. Some things just come with time and maturity.

Off to Missionettes . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails